the essential Wednesday 13 October, a a man armed with a bow and arrows killed five people and injured two others in Kongsberg, in south-eastern Norway. A suspect has been arrested.
Five dead and two people injured
“I have seen people run for their lives.” A woman, Hansine, who partially witnessed the attack, told TV2 that she heard a commotion and saw a woman take cover as well as “a man around the corner with arrows in a quiver on the shoulder and a bow in the hand “. “Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman who held a child by the hand,” she testified to the channel. “These events are shaking us,” said Prime Minister Erna Solberg, whose last day in office was. She will give up her post on Thursday to Labor Jonas Gahr Støre, winner of the legislative elections of 000 September .
The two injured were hospitalized in critical care units but, according to Øyvind Aas, there is no indication that their lives are in danger. One of them was an off-duty policeman who was in a supermarket, one of the multiple locations where the attack occurred. “I can unfortunately confirm that there are five people dead,” said local police official Øyvind Aas during a press briefing.
A man stopped
Norwegian police arrested a 25 year old Dane on suspicion of being the perpetrator of attack with bow and arrows. Investigators do not rule out terrorist motivation at this stage. The suspect, arrested shortly after the facts, is a Danish citizen of 37 years residing in Kongsberg , announced the Norwegian police in a statement published on the night of Wednesday to Thursday 13 October. “We decided to confirm this information because a lot of rumors circulate on social networks around the perpetrator of the attack, some (implicating) people having no connection with the serious acts committed”, t -she adds.
“According to the information we have now, there is only one person involved in these acts,” added the policeman. No other suspect is therefore sought. The perpetrator’s motives are still unknown at this stage. According to the generally well-informed TV2 channel, the alleged perpetrator is a convert to Islam and has a medical history – which the authorities were unwilling to confirm. “Given the unfolding of the facts, it is natural to assess whether it is a terrorist attack,” said Øyvind Aas. “The suspect has not been heard and it is too early to comment on his motives”, he added, adding that the investigators kept “all possibilities open”.
Police now armed
Residents were called to stay at home as large police forces and multiple ambulances were deployed. Police and medical helicopters as well as a team of deminers were also dispatched. The Norwegian Police Directorate has decided that officers, who are usually unarmed, will carry weapons on a temporary basis across the country.
Several media have disseminated photos of black arrows, of competition it seems, lying on the ground or, for one of them, firmly embedded in a wall.
In the past, Norway, a traditionally peaceful nation, has been the target of far-right attacks. On 22 July 2011, Anders Behring Breivik had killed 69 people by detonating a bomb near the seat of government in Oslo, killing eight, before opening fire on a Labor Youth rally on the island of Utøya, doing 69 other victims. In August 2011, Philip Manshaus also shot in a mosque near Oslo, before being overpowered by the faithful, without cause serious injury. He had previously racially shot his adopted Asian half-sister.
2111479 Several plans for Islamist attacks were also thwarted.