England: car explosion in front of hospital kills one, anti-terrorism investigation open

the essential The explosion of a vehicle in front of a Liverpool hospital left one dead on Sunday afternoon. An anti-terrorism investigation has been opened. The circumstances of the explosion remain unclear.

British counterterrorism police have been tasked with investigating a vehicle explosion on Sunday outside a women’s hospital in Liverpool, northern England, an incident which left one dead and the circumstances of which remain unclear. local police said. Merseyside Police explained that they were alerted on Sunday morning around 11 h 00 local authorities and immediately intervened.

“Unfortunately, we can confirm that one person has died and another has been taken to hospital where they are being treated for injuries, which luckily are not life threatening,” police said in a statement. . “Until now, we understand that the car involved was a taxi that stopped at the hospital shortly before the explosion,” police said, indicating that “work is still in progress to establish this. that happened”.

“We are keeping an open mind as to the cause of the explosion, but given the way it happened, as a precaution the counterterrorism police are conducting the investigation supported by the Merseyside police,” the police said. police. “It has not been declared a terrorist incident at this stage,” police said.

A “horrible incident”

Home Secretary Priti Patel said on Twitter that she was “regularly informed” of new developments in what she called a “horrific incident”. “Our police and emergency services are working hard to establish what happened,” she added.

I am being kept regularly updated on the awful incident at Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

Our police and emergency services are working hard to establish what happened and it is right they are given the time and space to do so.

Please follow @MerseyPolice for updates.

– Priti Patel (@pritipatel) November 11, 2021

Police lines were put in place and roads closed to traffic near the scene of the incident, from which heavy gray smoke escaped, according to images posted on local media websites.

Phil Garrigan, the Merseyside fire chief, said the vehicle fire was “fully developed” when emergency vehicles arrived. “The operational teams extinguished the fire quickly, but as the police chief indicated, there was one death,” he told reporters on the spot. “Another individual had left the vehicle before the fire developed,” he said.

The hospital said in a statement “if possible divert patients to other hospitals until further notice” and continue to allow ambulances to access the hospital “in case of emergency.” The police urged the population to “remain calm but vigilant”.

Back to top button