the essential The five victims of the attack perpetrated last week in Norway were killed with knives by the suspect who, presumably, lost or got rid of his bow and his arrows during his murderous journey, Norwegian police said on Monday.
To read also: Killing in Norway: the author of the arch attack entrusted to the medical services
The police, who had until then indicated that the suspect Espen Andersen Bråthen was armed with a bow and arrows as well as two other weapons, did not want to specify the nature of these bladed weapons for the purposes of the investigation. .
“Everything indicates that these victims were killed at random,” said Per Thomas Omholt.
According to the police, more than a dozen people were also targeted by archery at the start of the attack but none were killed with this weapon.
“Main disease hypothesis”
Suspected of Islamist radicalization, Espen Andersen Bråthen, a , admitted having killed five people and injured three others in this episode. ‘is produced on Wednesday in Kongsberg, a town in south-eastern Norway.
“As for the motive, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” added Per Thomas Omholt.
Placed in pre-trial detention in a medical institution, the suspect, who has already explained himself at length, is no longer able to be heard at present. A psychiatric assessment is underway to determine whether or not he can be held criminally responsible for his actions.
On Saturday, the police had identified the five victims, four women and a man: Andréa Meyer, 37 years old, Hanne Merethe Englund, 56 years old, Liv Berit Borge, 75 years old, Gunnar Erling Sauve, 75 years and Gun Marith Madsen, 78 years.