Afghanistan: at least 33 dead in a suicide bombing in Kandahar, stronghold of the Taliban

the essential At least 33 people were killed during Friday prayers in a suicide bombing against a Shiite mosque in the city from Kandahar

At least 33 people were killed during Friday prayers in a suicide bombing attack on a Shiite mosque in the city of Kandahar, southern Afghanistan, on cradle of the Taliban, thus challenged in the heart of their traditional stronghold.

According to witnesses, several explosions hit the Fatemieh Mosque in central Kandahar, the second largest city in the country, during the weekly Friday prayer.

“We were getting ready for prayer, when we heard gunshots. Two people entered the mosque and shot at the guards who shot back. One of them blew himself up in the mosque afterwards. he, two others also blew themselves up, “Sayed Rohullah, a security employee at the mosque, told AFP, reporting a third suicide bomber outside the building.

At least 33 dead and 74 injured

This attack comes exactly one week after a suicide bombing attack on a Shiite mosque in Kunduz (northeast), claimed by the Islamic State (IS) organization and which left dozens of victims.

A local Taliban official confirmed to AFP that it was a “suicide bombing” and that an investigation had been opened.

The operation, carried out by several unidentified men, has not been claimed at this stage. If claimed by ISIS, it would be the first time this group has struck in Kandahar.

A spokesperson for Kandahar Central Hospital told AFP at least 33 dead and 74 injured.

“We are overwhelmed. There are too many corpses and wounded being brought to our hospital. We urgently need blood. We have urged all local media in Kandahar to ask people to come and donate blood,” he said. AFP this medical source.

Back to top button